Thursday, June 30, 2011

Magazine CopyCat Party

Thanks to Debbie for hosting this great party!!  I think it is a fun idea and will turn out to be very inspirational for all of us DIYers!!

"Style at Home" has given me alot of inspiration!
It is one of my favorite magazines



Our living room had one very blank wall!!   It just lacked some structure and detail.  I was sitting on the couch directly looking at the "blank,boring wall.... .when this picture just hit me like a ton of bricks!!


"We could do this, I thought to myself!!
The wall is just about the same size as the wall I am staring at!
Have always wanted a fireplace,, and the little windows would bring
more light into the living room....hmmm wonder what Darrell would say?"


Well after measuring and seeing how similar the floor plan in the magazine was to our living room, we got to work!  The little windows were ordered, we started looking for a fireplace and I began to dream about having a mantel to decorate at Christmas time!!  Sorry, I don't have a very good "before" picture, but just imagine a flat wall of "nothingness".......

Here is our copycat result!!


Looking in from the dining room.
Oh..the TV is now a flatscreen that is receased and hides behind the mirror!
Most times the mirror is off the wall,,,but it gives me a good option
when I don't want to see the TV.


Cupboard to hold photo albums and games..






This little jelly cupboard is one of my favorite pieces. 



This book shelf is on the opposite wall of the fireplace, behind the couch.
You can visit this previous post that shows a small fix up on the bookcase...



A little chair hung on the wall makes a great shelf..



There you have it...thanks for stoppin by my living room.
Put your feet up and come back anytime!



White pitchers are one of my all time favorites!




23 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Dawna your FP and Living room are just gorgeous. You and your hubs are really good, have a vision and do it! SO happy you joined this party....I will do another one for sure.

Gina said...

No way! That's incredible. Talk about adding a ton of charm to a blank wall. Dawna, you have a beautiful home!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Wow! That looks so spectacular. I came over from the Mag Copy Challenge--
love your copy and especially love your personal touches... the little chair shelf is tops, Pat

Something Nice and Pretty said...

How wonderful to see a picture in a magazine like that and bring it to life like you did! Great transformation and copy!

Rondell

Eileen said...

This is great. Yours is even more awesome than the photo. I love that you can hide your tv. Gees that is cool.And your builder hubby is a handy one isnt he. those white cubbards look exact! I love it. I have an obsession for white pitchers too!

Anonymous said...

Dawna,WOW what a great copy cat! Yall sure nailed it, and it is FANTASTIC!!..I really love yall's better!!Actually Style at Home could take tips from YOU!..my mouth fell open, and I'm thinking,good gracious this is awesome!!
Thanks for sharing I'm visiting from Debbiedoos!!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great. What a transformation.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawna! Oh, my goodness. You need to tear up the magazine as your home looks much prettier! I love it. What a beautiful home.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Turquoise and Trine said...

Stopping by from Debbie's party. Your living room is gorgeous! You did a great job! I think your room is prettier than the magazine!

I'm a new follower of your blog too!

Lori : )
Thrifty Decor Mom

KimMalk said...

What a stunning copy! You guys really did it. The rest of your room is lovely as well. I love the b&w pictures, the little chair on the wall. So nice. Hugs, Kim

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Oh, what a fabulous copy! Love those small windows and the cupboards are gorgeous. I'm sitting here looking at a small chair we have. I've never thought to hang it on a wall, but after seeing yours, I'm looking for a place to hang it. So cute!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

OMG, that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love your room even better than the inspiration room! Great job!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

OMG! What a great copycat makeover! I love it! I've seen that picture or one very similar to it in another magazine somewhere and loved it too. I love the little windows and love that you were able to do that as well! Fantastic job!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

WOW is all I have to say! What a great job and it is lovely!

1 Funky Woman said...

Speechless that you could see that picture and then get to work! I love the wall color and that chair hanging on the wall is darling! Great job you two!

Megan

You've got a new follower after all that!

Helen's Decor said...

Hi Dawna, this is beyond outstanding! Y'all did a gorgeous makeover of your room, not to mention you're terrific copycats!!!! ;) I love all of it. I'm now a follower and will be back!

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Wow!! This is so amazing and beautiful...great job...love all of your accessories too...the birdcage and the chairs hung on the wall are so cute! :)
Q~

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Oh my, This is beautiful! I love the new firplace and built-ins. It looks amazing.
xo,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Your living room looks so gorgeous! So very well put together too, great job!

Pamela Gordon said...

I just stopped by to check on your blog and found I missed some great posts including this fabulous one! I love your living room! And I love that you 'copied' from the magazine but made it 'your own'! It's beautiful! I wish I could do that with our book case half wall on the front stairwell, well, at least the cabinet base part. You did a fantastic job!

Cindy @ Cinsarah said...

I love your living room!! Just gorgeous!! I featured you on my blog here:
http://cinsarah.blogspot.com/2011/07/favorites-friday-70811.html
Ps. I'm having a giveaway! I would love for you to enter!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Just...wow! Your wall is gorgeous, much prettier than the magazine. I so want a fireplace in the living room. Maybe when we expand someday. I'm pinning this for the future! Great job.

Carole said...

Your 'after' is gorgeous!

I've got many a magazine photo like your original. When we moved in we tore out the pellet stove, and rebuilt the fireplace, resurfacing the ugly magenta brick (yes, you read that right) with tile, and installing a propane unit. We tore out dirty old carpet and laid wood floor. We removed the long windows and installed smaller ones. Now all that's left to do is to build bookcases (because the space on either side of the fireplace isn't equal they need to be custom) and a mantel.

It's been piece meal, a little at at time (room by room), but we will get there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...